It is important to remember and know your rights. The ACLU has a downloadable PDF with the below information:
- You have the right to remain silent. If you want to exercise that right, verbally say so.
- You have the right to refuse to consent to a search of yourself, car, or home.
- If you are not under arrest, you have the right to leave.
- You have the right to a lawyer; ask for one immediately if arrested.
- Regardless of your immigration/citizen status, you have constitutional rights.
- Remain calm & polite.
- Do not obstruct the police.
- Do not lie or provide false documents.
- Remember the details of the encounter.
- File a written complaint if you feel your rights have been violated.